Farah Nousheen and Rita Meher founded Tasveer in March 2002 in Seattle, Washington. The idea of Tasveer was born right after 9/11. They were both passionate about telling the stories of South Asians, dispelling the stereotypes of South Asians in the mainstream media. There was a need for a platform that provided a non-judgmental space for South Asian voices to be heard. They executed these ideas by hosting small screenings through out Seattle, by showing independent films, documentaries, shorts and creating community forums. Tasveer’s first screening was held at Elliot Bay Book Company on the occasion of Gay Pride weekend that summer. Tasveer was incorporated as a non profit organization in March 2004. It is fully federally recognized 501c3 organization. It means picture in Hindi/Urdu.
Staff: Tasveer Executive Director: Rita Meher. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
To curate thought-provoking artistic work of South Asians through films, forums, visual art, and performances that engage and empower the community at large
To primarily bring meaningful films, but also visual, literary, performance and other art forms from South Asia and its Diaspora to Pacific Northwest
- To increase awareness of all SA countries and cultures- Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka
- To provide platform to South Asians, filmmakers and artists
- To initiate dialog that bridges communities
- Provide an alternative to corporate media
- Employ Independent SA film as a vehicle to give voice to marginalized communities
South Asia: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan, Sri Lanka
Meet our Board Members
Throughout the year, we design diverse, thought-provoking and powerful events partnering with organizations, filmmakers, performers, visual artists, journalists, professors, and activists.
Our main events are
- Seattle South Asian Film Festival
- Aaina: South Asian Women’s Focus
- South Asian International Documentary Festival
More information on current and past events on the Events page.
Tasveer is founded by Farah Nousheen and Rita Meher. Board Members information coming soon. Numerous volunteers help out with specific screenings and tasks. Tasveer is in constant need of volunteers, so let us know if you are interested!