Farah Nousheen and Rita Meher founded Tasveer in March 2002 in Seattle, Washington.Tasveer means picture in Hindi/Urdu. The idea of Tasveer was born right after 9/11. They were both passionate about telling the stories of South Asians, dispelling the stereotypes of South Asians in the mainstream media. There was a need for a platform that provided a non-judgmental space for South Asian voices to be heard. They executed these ideas by hosting small screenings throughout Seattle, by showing independent films, documentaries, shorts and creating community forums. Tasveer’s first screening was held at The Elliott Bay Book Company during Pride Month, 2002. Tasveer was incorporated as a non profit organization in March 2004 and is fully federally recognized 501c3 organization. Now Tasveer runs the largest South Asian Film Festival in the world, the most unique and only South Asian Women Festival called Aaina, South Asian International Documentary Festival and many programs every year.
Rita Meher manages Tasveer as the Executive Director. Farah Nousheen lives in Albuquerque, NM.
To contact Rita Meher please email: email@example.com
To reach Farah Nousheen, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
To curate thought-provoking artistic work of South Asians through films, forums, visual art, and performances that engage and empower the community at large
- To engage the community in a dialog, using art as a tool
- To increase awareness of all SA countries and cultures- Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka
- To provide a platform to South Asians, filmmakers and artists
- To build bridges among different group
- Provide an alternative to corporate media
- Employ Independent SA film as a vehicle to give voice to marginalized communities
South Asia: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan, Sri Lanka
Throughout the year, we design diverse, thought-provoking and powerful events partnering with organizations, filmmakers, performers, visual artists, journalists, professors, and activists.
Our main events are
- Seattle South Asian Film Festival
- Aaina: South Asian Women’s Focus
- South Asian International Documentary Festival
- Tasveer Reels: Monthly screenings at Bellevue Arts Museum
More information on current and past events on the Events page.